Revisiting Agro-Based Products

Agro-based product definitives were issued in 25 October 1986 in all states of Malaysia featuring a set of seven stamps depicting agricultural products: Coffee, Coconut, Cocoa, Black Pepper, Rubber, Oil Palm, and Rice. Throughout the years, these stamps ran from sheet 1A to 14A, signifying the massive reprints as definitive stamps before it was eventually replaced by the new state definitives issued in 2007. 

Initially, the Agro-based state definitive stamps were lithographically printed on SPM watermarked phosphor coated paper with a perforation of 11.75 (listed as 12 in both Scott and Stanley Gibbons). Each state shared a similar design type except the state name, emblem/ coat of arms, and portraits of respective rulers. 

Perlis 20c, P. 11.75

Reprints, later on, had more interesting changes to perforation, watermark, gum, and denomination. Varieties in perforation always the easiest to distinguish, at times, even without a perforation gauge. I have had no luck with finding an unwatermarked stamp of this series yet. On the other hand, identifying gum types is challenging enough! 

While ISC catalogue did not cover on the varieties as extensively, I am glad that I am referring to Scott 2017. 

Perlis 30c, Scott#70b. P. 15 x 14.5


A scan of Scott 2017 catalogue of Perak's Agro-based products.


While measuring, I came across this Perlis 30c with perforation 15 x 14.5, listed as Scott 70b. To my surprise, its CV shoots up to USD14.50 - which I very well know that it simply will not fetch that price here. That aside, I found a few more varieties. 

Pulau Pinang (Penang) 10c, Scott#91a. P. 14

Sarawak 2c, Scott#263a. P. 15 x 14.5

Sarawak 10c, Scott#265a. P. 14

Having this topic revisited with better knowledge sure is fun. As seen, I came across stamps of different perforations, and also different gums but I will reserve this observation for future post when I have gathered enough 'solid evidence' that they are what they are. Personally, I have always avoided collecting this series simply because it is excessively abundant and common. Hence, I held firm to 1-set-only kind of policy as a memento. 

So why now? At the time of writing, I am actually sorting through a bunch of these (not mine, I offered help to sort in exchange that I get to scan and store them digitally) and the thought of writing about this series came to mind.

My first set of Agro-based product state definitive acquired in 2017

Scanned this back in 2017 (the year I took on philately as a hobby) Then, I had no idea that varieties in perforations exist, hence I never actually tried to notice any. A big shoutout to Mr Ian's write-up on Agro stamps which I discovered in mid-2018. That definitely helped a lot! 

As I was measuring multiples of Agro based definitives a while ago, I stumbled upon varieties - which I was now well aware of - and remembered I did scan a few Sabah definitives in 2017. 

Had a quick search in my saved scans, and voila. 
1c, 10c, and 20c looks like P. 11.75
2c is definitely a P. 15 x 14.5
5c looks in between P. 14-14.5
30c also looks like a P. 15 x 14.5

Note that I used 'look' because I too have long been separated from these stamps since I am studying in Selangor and they are all patiently waiting in Sabah. Until then, these measurements are very rough estimates. 

Reiterating an earlier statement on the changes in later reprints, I will reserve gum varieties, watermarks, and denomination changes to a later post. Perhaps, when I revisit this topic again in the near future. 

Note on stamps:

1. Perlis 1986 ISC74 20 cents multicolored - Oil palm
Wmk. SPM
Perforation: 11.75

2. Perlis 1986? Scott#70b 30 cents multicolored - Rice
Wmk. SPM
Perforation: 15 x 14.5

3. Pulau Pinang 1986? Scott#91a 10 cents multicolored - Black pepper
Wmk. SPM
Perforation: 14

4. Sarawak 1986 Scott#263a 2 cents multicolored - Coconut
Wmk. SPM
Perforation: 15 x 14.5

5. Sarawak 1995 Scott#265a 10 cents multicolored - Black pepper
Wmk. SPM
Perforation: 14

6. Sabah 1986 ISC420-426 1 cent to 30 cents multicolored - State set
Wmk. SPM
Perforation: Unchecked. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bar Cancels of Labuan: Part 1

Train Mail postmarks of North Borneo (1)

Identifying Paper Types of the B.M.A Malaya Overprint: Substitute, Chalk, and Thin Striated Paper