2018 Malaysia State Definitive Series (Orchids) and Private Covers

In 2018, Pos Malaysia issued a rather interesting state definitive series featuring all 13 states and the Federal Territories (Wilayah Persekutuan). It was also the same year that I learnt that I could print my own private covers. 

Hence with tons of reading and going to online databases learning each of the featured orchids, I tried my best to put the orchids on the private covers. However, in the midst of collecting images and sketches of various orchids, I soon discovered that certain species were not readily available as stock images, which explains why some of the covers did not have the exact species but I tried my level best to match its genus. 

Having a deep interest in the wildlife of Sabah, orchids are one of my favourite. I have seen several in the wild during my annual family day in my maternal hometown, Kg. Toboh Lama where short escapades into the woods with a pair of watchful eyes come in handy. Other experiences I very much enjoyed were agriculture parks, especially the one in Tenom. 

Only miniature sheets were issued. The perforated ones have a face value of RM 1.55 while the imperforated version is of RM 5.00.

While the brochure did not provide extensive information with regards to the features wild orchids, scientific classifications and its origin were provided. 

Brochure


A cover prepared with all the denominations cancelled with the official pictorial first day cachet.


5sen, Bulbophyllum virescens


10sen, Corybas carinatus


20sen, Vanilla griffithii


30sen, Phaius subtrilobus


40sen, Dendrobium macrophyllum var. ternatense


50sen, Anoectochilus reinwardtii


Now, did I make room for the official cover? Yes and in fact, obtaining the concordant set with first day cachets from respective states were made possible by Pos Malaysia upon subscription to their SODA (Standing Order Deposit Account). I was relieved that such option was available. 

With the pandemic still around, I took the time to scan previous stamp issues along with their FDCs. It has been months since the last issue of 2021, with much more interesting issues in their tentative. Will the philatelic scene of collectors and hobbyists lining up early in the morning resume soon? Only time will tell. The utmost priority is achieving herd immunity as vaccines are still being rolled out. 

Until then, stay safe.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bar Cancels of Labuan: Part 1

Train Mail postmarks of North Borneo (1)

Identifying Paper Types of the B.M.A Malaya Overprint: Substitute, Chalk, and Thin Striated Paper