Printed Album Pages of Romania: A New-found Excitement for Types, Shades, and Perforation Varieties.

Straying further from my main areas of interest, Romania has stamps of great varieties, especially that of the early periods. This ignites a sudden and quite an impulsive week-long worth of sorting. 

Early hypothesis: A high probability that I might venture just ever-so slightly into completing this current period of Romania (just the lower CV sets so I don't exhaust all my 'stamp allowance').

Various shades, however, not discounting the fact that these variations could be attributed to environmental exposure and toning of paper. A Specialized catalogue lists Sc266 with 6 shades, Sc270 with 3 shades, while Sc267 with 2 shades varieties.


Reiterating the fact that Romania is an odd area/country in my areas of interest, I decided to store them on printed album pages instead of the usual black stock pages. 

King Carol I 1890 and 1891

King Carol I 1893-1898

King Carol I 1900-1903


King Carol I 1908-1918, 1909-1918

King Ferdinand 1920-1926

King Ferdinand 1920-1926

With regards to perforation varieties, Scott lists them as either 11.5, 13.5, 14, and compound. While measuring the perforations blindly without knowing how many varieties of these compound perforations exist, it was a saving grace to have found a stamp forum that just answers my question. 
Hence, we now know there were 5 perforation varieties: 11.5, 13.5, 14, 13.5 x 11.5, 13.5 x 14. With limited number of duplicates, I was happy enough to be able to assembly at least something. 



At the time of writing, I am still going through perforations. However, if you have noticed the third 1 Leu stamp, there has been an oddity in the perforation. 



Horizontally, the perforations are oddly separated by a further distance, to which the sequence is exactly conserved. While I am not sure whether this has been catalogued or mentioned yet, I will definitely keep an eye on similar perforation oddities. If there is one, there will be another. 

I hope you have enjoyed this short right up. Thank you, as always, for dropping by. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bar Cancels of Labuan: Part 1

Train Mail postmarks of North Borneo (1)

Identifying Paper Types of the B.M.A Malaya Overprint: Substitute, Chalk, and Thin Striated Paper